Mulch is a common ground cover to install in your landscape beds in Michigan because of the functional and aesthetic benefits it provides. Installing mulch in your landscape beds will provide functional benefits such as reducing soil erosion, regulating soil temperature, and more! Mulch can also add to the beauty of your landscape beds by making your plants "pop." What's more, mulch will return nutrients to the soil once it breaks down. If you want your landscape beds to become a focal point of your property and want to help your plants stay healthy, you should install a mulch ground cover in them.
1. Mulch provides benefits to the plants in your landscape beds.
Mulch is a beneficial ground cover to add to your landscape beds because of the health benefits it provides. Some of the benefits mulch can provide include:
- Reducing soil erosion - Mulch provides a layer of protection for the soil in your landscape beds. Rain will hit the mulch instead of the soil, helping to prevent soil erosion.
- Regulating soil temperature - Mulch acts as a layer of insulation for your plants. This benefits your plants by keeping the soil warm in the winter and cool during the summer.
- Providing weed control - Mulch controls extended weed growth in your landscape beds by preventing new weed seeds from reaching the soil and blocking the sunlight for already existing weeds, halting their growth.
- Helping retain soil moisture - Your soil will stay moist and your plants will be well-hydrated when you install mulch. The mulch blocks the sun from drying out the soil and the roots quickly.
2. Mulch adds beauty to your landscape beds.
A lot of property owners install mulch in their landscape beds because of the aesthetic value it adds to the landscape beds. Mulch is available in a variety of types and colors, so you can pick the one that best suits your aesthetic preferences and blends in with the rest of your landscape. In Michigan, some of the most common types of mulch are:
- Walnut brown mulch
- Hardwood mulch
- Red mulch
- Black mulch
Depending on the type of mulch you choose, it can make your plants "pop" because it can make your plants stand out. For example, colorful flowers will stand out when they are surrounded by black mulch.
3. Mulch returns nutrients back to the soil as it breaks down.
Mulch is organic material that will break down over time. As it breaks down, it returns nutrients back into the soil. This is a big benefit because the more nutrients your soil has, the stronger and healthier your plants will be. To ensure your mulch is continuing to provide its intended benefits, you should replenish it once a year.
Mulch should be installed about 2-3 inches thick to ensure it is thick enough to provide its intended benefits without suffocating your plants!
Give us a call today to schedule our mulch installation service.
If you're looking to enhance the beauty of your landscape beds while also providing health benefits to your plants, you'll want to install a mulch ground cover in your landscape beds. At Outdoor Expressions Landscaping, we offer a mulch installation service that will not only increase the beauty of your beds but also provide your plants with numerous health benefits. Our mulch installation process involves removing existing weeds from your landscape beds, cleaning the landscape beds, edging the beds, applying a pre-emergent weed control treatment, and installing the mulch. We offer our service to commercial, residential, and HOA properties in East Lansing, Okemos, Haslett, MI, and surrounding areas. Call (517) 333-7999 to schedule our mulch installation service for your property today!
Thanks for your comment!
Thanks for your feedback! Your comments have been successfully submitted! Please note, all comments require admin approval prior to display.
Error submitting comment!
There is a problem with your comment, please see below and try again.